Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Nubby Twiglet


A few days ago, I was chatting with my roommate Dawn (a freelance graphic designer), and just discussing that crazy world of employment that we're all peeking at trepidaciously, with our hands covering our eyes. She referred me to the blog of Nubby Twiglet, a graphic designer who's my age and fresh out of school. Her blog is insightful, engaging, and definitely a great source for any designer; from people like me who are in school through the most experienced. I was just reading this post, called "The Life of a Graphic Designer (in Training)." If you're at all in my position- just starting out or just starting your learning process or even just beginning to have an inkling that design might be the direction for you- it's worth a full read. This quote she included from Saul Bass on some problems students and new designers tend to run into struck me in particular:

‘They are not privy to process,’ he noted. ‘They may have the illusion that these things really spring full-blown out of the head of some designer. This is a very unsettling perception for young people, because they struggle with their work. They have a go at it… They redo… It gets better… It slips… It gets worse… it comes back… It comes together. And maybe it’s something that’s pretty good, even excellent. But they say to themselves, “Gee, it comes hard and it’s so difficult. Am I really suited for this?”

The blog itself is a fun read for non-designers too; her outfit posts are adorable and her Thursday feature, Link Love, is full of goodies. Thanks for the recommendation, Dawn!

--Dara

No comments: